The types of lime used with cement and sand for laying mortar of bricks are called quicklime, which is a completely different material.
Lime or quicklime improves work efficiency but has a negligible effect on the strength of the mortar.
To make Portland cement, limestone is crushed into a fine powder and introduced into a rotary kiln.
Different types of lime used in construction:
The lime obtained by calcination of limestone are typed into three categories as follows:
Fat lime is also termed as pure lime or rich lime or white lime or high calcium lime.
This lime is required in whitewashing and plastering wall.
Properties of fat lime:
- Fat lime is soluble in water.
- It hardens very slowly.
- Its colour is white.
- It has an excessive character of plasticity.
- It sets slowly within the presence of air.
The types of lime that sets underwater is called hydraulic lime or water lime.
It consists of clay and some amount of ferrous oxide, hydraulic lime can be used for ordinary masonry work as well as superior type of masonry work and damp places.
Hydraulic lime is further classified into three categories:
- Feebly hydraulic lime.
- Moderately hydraulic lime.
- Eminently hydraulic lime.
Properties of hydraulic lime:
- It sets underwater.
- Feerly hydraulic lime slakes after few minutes.
- Moderately hydraulic lime slakes after one or two hours.
- Eminently hydraulic lime slakes with difficulty.
Poor lime types also called as lean lime or impure lime, since it consists of more than 30% of clay.
Its colour is muddy.
Poor lime is required to prepare poor mortar which can be used for the inferior type of work.
Properties of poor lime:
- It slakes very slowly.
- It forms a thin paste with water.
- Also, it does not dissolve in water though it is frequently changed.
- It hardens very slowly.
- It has poor binding properties.
Uses of lime:
- Various types of lime is used for the final coat in internal plaster work of wall and ceiling, to obtain the smooth surface for the further process of painting.
- Also, it is commonly used in sun law or neeru finish work.
- It is used for making mortar which is further in masonry work.
- It is used for soil stabilization.
- When lime is blended with cement it provides mortar which can be used in a place of the costly cement mortar.
- It’s used as a matrix for concrete and mortar.
- It may be as a flux within the metallurgical industry.
- It’s used within the manufacturing of glass.
Several types of lime are basic construction materials used mainly in the manufacture of lime mortar.
Quick lime is a form of lime formed by the burning of stone that contains calcium carbonate.
The burning temperature varies up to 900 ° C for a number of hours, this process is known as calcination.