A concrete grinder is a finishing tool used to perform the grinding and leveling process for the surface of the concrete to get a smooth surface.
These grinders can be used as floor preparation tools, aggressive coating removal tools and concrete polishing tools.
The fundamentals of concrete grinder, types of concrete grinder, advantages & disadvantages of the concrete grinder are briefly explained below.
Types of Concrete Grinders:
The number of concrete grinders depends on the work to be performed and the kind of materials to be eliminated and classified as follows:
1.Hand-Held Concrete Grinders:
Hand-held concrete grinders are used to grind concrete surfaces in corners, tight areas, and areas where pedestrian concrete grinders cannot easily reach for grinding.
The grinding process creates a considerable amount of mud which is extracted by a shroud and extraction hose connected to the equipment unit.
2.Walk-behind Concrete Grinders:
The walk-back grinders are big concrete grinders unit that helps grind concrete onto the body of the floor.
Large areas of concrete will be ground with these machines as they usually exist various models of walk-behind concrete grinders which might be run by LP, petrol or diesel.
Components of Concrete Grinder:
The concrete grinder principally has a rotating head that helps to make the floor smooth and level.
These days, most of the concrete grinding is performed by diamonds, so this process is known as diamond grinding because the abrasive discs used to grind the floor comprise diamond particles.
The main components of a concrete grinders are as follows:
1. Diamond in Concrete Grinder:
Synthetic diamonds are generally used in concrete grinders obtainable in various types, sizes and styles.
Diamond shapes are represented as grits which might be obtainable in several sizes represented by grit numbers help in work optimization.
The size of the diamond and the associated grit numbers are inversely proportional to one another, this means that a bigger diamond is smaller in size and vice versa.
To remove the aggressive coating on the concrete floor, we use bigger diamonds for polishing and honing purposes we use smaller diamonds.
2. Bonds in Concrete Grinder:
Bonds are another essential part in a concrete grinders, this tool works properly if the bond used doesn’t coincide with the material used for grinding.
The main purpose of bonding is to maintain the diamond used for grinding.
During the grinding process, the bonds wear out in a deliberate method, so that the new diamond is exposed to grinding without the sudden breakdown of the diamond.
The selection of diamond grit and bond varies with the applying required.
Advantages of concrete grinder:
- It provides smooth and leveled surface.
- It works efficiently.
Disadvantages of concrete grinder:
- Operating a concrete grinders requires skilled labor.
- It consumes more electricity per unit time.
- Some concrete grinders are expensive.
Uses of Concrete Grinders:
- The presence of sturdy and cussed tile glues will be simply eliminated with the help of concrete grinders.
- They are inexpensive compared to other membrane removal methods.
- Unevenly cast concrete surfaces will be smoothed and made shiny with concrete grinders.
- The floor of the concrete will be ground to an extra quantity to expose the aggregates and be polished to provide an aesthetic look.
- The concrete finish provided by the concrete grinders arecomparable with different stone floor surfaces.
Also read: Concrete Mixer, Concrete Finishing Tools & Concrete Vibrator
Concrete grinder is used for smoothing a rough concrete surface to reveal a smooth and shiny surface.