Partition wall does not carry any weight of the building structure, so these walls are also called non-load-bearing walls.
These walls divide the interior space of the building unit into various rooms.
In the case of a residential building, the partition wall divides the interior space or interior area into various rooms such as living room, bedroom, kitchen, WC. Bathroom, study room, stove room etc.
It also divides the interior area or space of various building unit like a public building, commercial building, sports complex, recreation centre, etc.
Need for a good partition wall:
A good partition wall should meet the following requirements:
- The partition wall should be light in weight so that it reduces weight on the structure, foundation and ground.
- So to cover the maximum floor area, the partition wall thickness must be minimal or thin.
- Their materials used to make the partition wall must be durable.
- Inhabitants should feel more comfortable with respect to vision and sound, so the partition wall should provide better privacy.
- The partition wall should not catch fire due to a sudden short circuit or any other reason, so the wall should have fire-resistant properties.
- It should be soundproof.
- The partition should be easy to construct.
- It should be economical.
- The partition wall should not be affected by termites or white ants or fungi, especially in wooden partitions.
- It should be able to install sanitary fittings and any other fixtures.
- The partition should be capable enough to resist vibration.
- It should have heat-insulating properties.
Type of partition wall:
The materials used in its metal partitions are steel aluminium and GI sheets hence it is called metal partition walls.
These types of partitions are fast becoming a common way of providing partition walls in domestic situations, garages and industry sectors,
There are many advantages over other traditional wood stud walls or brick walls or block studs, so it became popular.
Merits of Metal partition:
- Metal partitions are much lighter in weight than wood, brick and block partitions.
- These partitions will be fixed more precisely than different partition walls.
- It supplies higher resistance to fire than partition walls.
- These partitions are less expensive than wooden or brick and block partitions.
- These partitions can be destroyed and used at any desired location.
Demerits of Metal partition:
- This situation requires several fitting accessories for fixing.
- It needs a sealing joist running across the steel channel.
- This requires the number of steel channels.
Asbestos cement wall partition:
This type of partitions is made from asbestos cement sheets and fixed in wooden or steel frames.
The thickness of such a sheet is 10 mm with a sheet of 5 mm, the plane on one side and other internal corrugated sheets of 5 mm thick.
These sheets are moved into position and attached to cement mortar.
Merits of asbestos cement partition:
- These partitions are light in weight.
- It has resistance to fire.
- These partitions are waterproof.
- These sheets are impermeable and durable.
- Demerits of asbestos cement partition:
- Natural or inherent.
- Vandalism and human-induced problems.
Wooden partition wall:
This type of partitions has various components such as heads, studs, pieces of nogging or noggins, brace sills etc. which are made of good quality of wood.
There are two types of wooden partitions:
This type of partitions consists of vertical members called studs, the upper horizontal member as the head, and the lower horizontal member as the sill.
Studs can be made stiffer by providing horizontal pieces called nailing pieces.
It consists of various components such as studs, head sill, dogging piece, steel steps, bolts, braces, etc.
This type of partitions is based on the basic principle of trusses.
Merits of Wooden partitions:
- Light in weight and easy to manufacture.
- It is economical.
Demerits of Wooden partitions:
- Neither sound-proof nor fire-proof.
- Not appropriate for damp locations.
- This requires a large amount of wood.
Plaster slab partition wall:
It is made of burnt gypsum or sawdust in plaster of Paris, 5 cm to 10 cm thick slabs are prepared in casts of iron or wood.
Appropriate grooves are offered in plaster slabs to form inflexible joints.
Nails and screws might be simply operated in these slabs.
Merits of Plaster slab partitions:
- Plaster wall partitions create a stronger and more durable wall.
- The walls become stronger due to the chemical reaction.
- Plaster is resistant to knock and dent in most cases.
Demerits of Plaster slab partitions:
- It requires a high initial cost.
- Also requires skilled labour.
Glass partitions or glass partition walls are high-quality, non-load-bearing walls of glass that act as room dividers.
As a constructing material, this permits the glass designers and architects to divide a room without flooring area and lightweight diffusion.
The sheets of glass are fixed in wooden or metal structures.
Merits of Glass partition:
- Provides good aesthetics and light.
- There are damp sound and heatproof.
- Easy to wash and maintain.
- Hollow blocks do not require wooden structures.
Demerits of Glass partition:
- It disturbs the privacy.
- It can get damaged.
Concrete partition wall:
Concrete slabs, in concrete partitions, are plain or reinforced, the latter supported between vertical members.
These slabs can be either precast or cast-in-site & joints are filled with cement mortar.
Another type of concrete partitioning consists of precast T-shaped or L-shaped units.
Merits of concrete partition:
- Concrete is sturdy, low maintenance, and resistant to the wind, water, and fire.
- It has a low tensile strength.
Demerits of concrete partition:
- Concrete is less ductile.
- The weight is high compared to its strength.
Hollow block and clay block partition:
Hollow concrete block partitions are made up of particular individual units of concrete.
Clay blocks are well prepared using clay or terra-cotta and they are either solid or hollow.
The thickness of a hollow clay block of section 30 X 20 cm can vary from 5 cm to 15 cm.
The blocks are provided with grooves on the top, bottom and sides; with the surfaces stored separately glazed in winter.
Merits of Hollow block partition:
- Hollow blocks require less maintenance.
- High durable.
- Construction speed is higher than traditional construction systems.
- It has high tensile strength.
- Affordable, favourable and affordable rates.
Demerits of Hollow block partition:
- Hollow blocks have the poor bearing capacity.
Brick partition wall:
It was constructed with plain bricks, reinforced bricks, bricks fabricated from bricks-nogged or hollow bricks.
A plain brick partition of half brick thickness does not exceed 2 m height.
In reinforced brick partitions of half brick thickness, reinforcement within the form of wire mesh or hoop iron or steel bars is provided.
Brick partition wall consists of brickwork constructed within a framework of wood members.
Demerits of Brick partition:
Brick partition is fire-resistant and sound-proof.
Frequently Asked Questions:
What is a partition wall?
A partition wall is defined as a wall or partition made of bricks, studding, glass, or other material and provided for dividing from one room from other.
What are the types of partition?
There are three types of partitions: primary partition, extended partition and logical drive
Where are partition walls used?
Partition walls are vertical dividers used to separate interior spaces into corridors such as rooms and circulation areas.
How much does it cost to install a partition wall?
Installing a new wall will cost an average of $ 1,786, with a typical range of $ 939 and $ 2,689.
A partition wall is a non-load bearing, usually an internal wall.
The most common partition wall is a large room is divided into two rooms by adding a partition wall and a new door to another room.