Hollow block can be defined as units that have a core-zero area greater than 25% of the total area.
The use of cement concrete blocks for masonry construction has been developed rapidly which are higher than traditional building materials such as bricks and stones.
Concrete blocks with trading name as siporex are available in the market, which is light-coloured.
Introduction to hollow block:
These hollow blocks allow the adoption of thinner walls which ultimately results in increased floor space, since the air space in the block is 25% of the block’s total area, this saves the material.
The hollow space in the blocks enables the masonry to have good insulating properties against sound, heat and moisture.
As the blocks are precast, its surface is smoother therefore requires less plastering material.
Standard sizes of hollow block:
- 39 cm x 19 cm 30 cm: Standard size of hollow concrete blocks.
- 39 cm x 19 cm x 20 cm and: hollow building tiles.
- 39 cm x 19 cm x 10 cm: Absorption of water will be less than 10% in hollow solid block blocks for partitioning.
To use blocks in construction, the overall length and height of the wall must be fixed accordingly so that it is possible to use a single block or half-length block.
The blocks are available in standard face size of 440 x 215 mm and a thickness of 140 mm and 215 in a standard finish (suitable for rendering).
Advantages of hollow block:
- This will give a different look reduces the energy bill to create an environmentally friendly environment in the building.
- Solid hollow blocks require less maintenance and provide insulation from sound, heat and fire-resistant.
- The joints in these blocks require less cement mortar, little or no plastering thus speeding up the construction process.
- High dimensional accuracy and consistent finish make it an ideal building material for building load-bearing structures and building partition wall.
- These hollow concrete blocks have high-stress bearing capacity hence widely used in building construction practices.
- Concrete hollow blocks are lightweight and therefore can be used in the construction of homes in earthquake-prone areas.
- These blocks are more cost-effective than other traditional wall systems or wall construction systems.
- It is high quality, high strength, uniform size and shape.
- It is completely energy-efficient does not require any non-renewable resources for its production.
- Also, it does not disturb the eco-system so they are either environmentally friendly or eco-friendly since the waste and local resources can be used for its manufacture or production.
- It can also be manufactured at the site.
- Hollow space in blocks makes masonry work soundproof, heatproof and damp proofing.
Disadvantages of hollow block:
- Hollow blocks has poor bearing capacity because the total mass of wall decoration materials is reduced, the load-bearing capacity is also reduced.
- It is very dangerous to hang heavy objects on such walls.
Application of hollow block:
- These blocks can be used in load-bearing structures, low-rise residential, office buildings, bungalows, shelter units for rural housing, tall buildings, institutional buildings, warehouses, etc.
- It is used in frame structures such as high-rise residential apartments, office buildings, market premises, hospitals and hotels, etc.
- It can be used as ground-level units such as roadside walkways, backyard walkways, interlocking paving blocks for traffic movement areas similar to curbstones, exhibition grounds, fuel pumping stations, bus and train stations, and so on.
- Also, used in specific use areas such as tree guard blocks for roadside and backyard plantations.
Frequently Asked Questions:
What is the difference between solid blocks and hollow blocks?
Hollow blocks have one or more hollow cores whereas solid blocks have core holes & Hollow blocks are used for building large structures while concrete blocks are used for paving and other projects.
What is the use of hollow blocks?
In general, the hollow block is a type of concrete block used for building internal and external walls.
Which is better brick or hollow block?
Blocks have a higher density than building bricks and therefore they provide more soundproofing.
How are hollow blocks made?
They are made from a mixture of Portland cement, sand, gravel and water, the mixture is wet it is like a paste and can be poured as a block. When it dries, it hardens until it becomes like a stone.
Hollow block helps in saving construction material, hence the use of hollow block reduces the construction cost.
Hollow bricks can be utilized for constructing load-bearing as well as non-load-bearing walls, relying on the compressive strength of the material used.